The Aftermath

    Looking back,  I made a lot of poor decisions. Looking back, I made a lot of great decisions. Sometimes the aftermath isn't just about how the outcome of a decision didn't go as planned, but also how that outcome benefited you. 
    Recently, my plans have not lived up to my expectations. I wanted a job for the summer and I didn't get it. I wanted an internship, I didn't get it. I wanted a relationship, I didn't get it. I wanted all A's, I didn't get it. Now I could go on about all the things, I did not get in life, but what is the purpose to dwell on what I do not have? 
    The purpose is that I get to learn, why I do not have those things. I do not recommend constantly dwelling on the negative. Let's mainly focus on the learning prerogative. 
    I heavily enjoy science. I enjoy the spontaneity of science. For example, the Michelson-Morley Experiment, is one of the most famous failed experiments. It failed because the current theories about quantum physics did not match the experiment results. A result that stunted many but their failures allowed for other future scientists to build upon their mistakes. Their experiment asked the question, "What is the velocity of earth in respect to light waves?" Their hypothesis was generalized about an "aether" that would allow the velocity of Earth's motion to be measured. Their results were negative, which ended up helping Albert Einstein develop the Universal Constant of light. 
    For a more relative example, my experiment will be" How does being myself inhibit relationships?". My hypothesis needs to be a testable prediction.  Self-esteem influences my relationship satisfaction. Self-esteem incorporating my data and self-esteem is objectively and relatively testable. My null hypothesis is that the presence and lack of self-esteem has no statistical difference in a relationship.  
   Imagine putting any random question about yourself in the experiment. Why do you not have good grades? Why did you not get that job? Do not dwell on the negative result, but use it to ask the next question. At the end of the day, you do not need to ask overwhelmingly complicated questions. Simply ask one question to yourself and find a way to answer it. Then move on to the next. Maybe you won't like the answer, but if you do not like the answer, what will you do about it? Will you be like Albert Einstein and use a failed experiment to obtain a Universal Constant? 

Comments

Popular Posts